General discussion

Couldn't Update-RT Error 3218 Access97

By frankus ·
I get this Run Time error only when the Access MBD file is on the Network and also on another user's workstation. It run OK on my NT4 workstation. It happens when running and sending results (40,000 records) to a table.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Couldn't Update-RT Error ...

No solution, but here's the definition of the error:
Error 3218 ?Could not update; currently locked.?
This error occurs when a user tries to save a record that is locked by another user. To handle this error, program your solution to wait for a short period of time, and then try to save the record again. Or, you can display a message that explains the problem and give users the opportunity to try the operation again.

Collapse -

by frankus In reply to Couldn't Update-RT Error ...

Thanks. Based on this answer, I put error trapping for Error 3218 into the code. It sends control back to the update line, which is eventually successful in completing the task.

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Couldn't Update-RT Error ...

Access enjoys both Passive and Sustained record locking. Under your menu options select Tools | Options and select the "Advanced" tab. Make sure Default Open Mode is set to Shared and Defaule Record Locking is set to No Locks.

The database still locks a single page of records during any update but locking is in the Passive mode and the lock is released as soon as the updated record is saved to disk.

Collapse -

Thank you very much.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)