General discussion

Crystal Reports for AS/400 reporting?

By kfisher ·
Our IT shop runs Showcase Strategy for AS/400 rpts but Crystal Rpts for NT/SQLServer rpts. Staff size is too small to support both products well, & we have the greater expertise on the Crystal Rpts side. Crystal licensing appears to be much less expensive, & Crystal trng is much easier/cheaper to get. I understand we can use Crystal Rpts for AS/400 reporting but have heard it?s much more limited, especially if we need to do many joins.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience using Crystal Rpts for AS/400 reports, or from anyone comparing Showcase to Crystal. Thanks !

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by RRV In reply to Crystal Reports for AS/40 ...

for the last 2 years i'm working in VB & AS400. I tried crystal reports. but it was not that satisfactory. then i started writing reports with Excel and Word in one accepted format. I use either MS OLEDB or IBMOLEDB [Client access express] if it is msoledb you can set the recordset to the datareports in VB which is very easy and very fast. but now the grid and form data which i have taken from as/400, i create either word or excel using createobject(Excel.Application) and using office automation servers create my own reports. writing code is also very easy. maintaining is very easy because anyone who know VB/VBA can do it. no new software to buy/pay etc.
i've used word, excel and outlook from VB with AS/400 simultaneously and isvery successful and very fast compared to any tools. all you have to know is good VB6. for more details mail to me at rrv@hotvoice.com

Collapse -

by kfisher In reply to Crystal Reports for AS/40 ...

Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately the 1-1/2 staff members that handle our report writer requests don't have much programming background (the 1/2 person has very limited RPG, the other has none), with no VB prog background between them. Many thanks for responding though ...

Back to Web Development Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)