General discussion

Dell D620 won't power on

By Aravinds1611 ·
Hi,
I have been working on a Dell D620 laptop with 1GB Hynix PC2 4200S Ram in it. Since yesterday, the laptop doesn't boot up. It goes off within a matter of seconds after its powered on and even the DELL logo screen doesn't come up. However, I noticed that if I keep pressing the power button it boots up to Windows XP logon prompt. Later, If i release the power button and press a key the laptop shuts down. Hence I figured out that I need to keep pressing the power button all the time to work on the keyboard. I tried running the diagnostics utility and it hasn't showed any errors. What could be the source of the problem? suggestions please.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Hardware is failing.

by seanferd In reply to Dell D620 won't power on

Could be the switch, power supply, or the motherboard.

Try booting without the RAM stick in it and see if the splash screen loads and you can get into BIOS.

Collapse -

Take the battery out.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Dell D620 won't power on

Unplug the AC, remove the battery, plug the AC back in, and try it. The original batteries in D620 and D630 models are notorious for failing to hold a charge and otherwise causing an assortment of power issues. If that is the problem, replacement batteries are available from most online electronics suppliers.

Back to Laptops Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)