Question

• Creator
    Topic

Dependent dropdown list in Word 365

by lucyschagen ·

Tags: 

Hi all,

I am creating a form using Word 365 on Windows 10 and I need to do the following.

I have to ask for certain information where the reader can only choose from certain options, so I’m using drop down lists. After the item in the first drowp down list is chosen, I need the next drop down list to only show the specific choices that are relevant to the first answer. For example:

State/Province: [drop down list showing only the states/provinces that are in the country that was selected in the previous question]
    City: [drop down list showing only cities that are in the selected state/province]

As this is a work related form I cannot give the exact questions people need to answer, but it is the same principle as the above example and we absolutely cannot allow people to fill out their own answer, as this leads to a lot of problems later on.

Does anybody know how I can do this? I have tried the steps mentioned in https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-to-populate-a-dependent-dropdown-list-in-word/ but as it uses a different version of Word I can’t seem to make it work. When I get to the part where I need to go to the properties of the second dropdown, the section “run macro on” and then “exit” isn’t visible. I have looked for it elsewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. Please know that I do not have any experience with this, so this may be a very easy solution but I just can’t figure it out myself.

I hope someone can help me. Kind regards, Lucy

All Answers

Share your knowledge