General discussion

Dual-Boot with w'98 and w'2000

By JEAM ·
I have a computer with two partitions, primary with 2 gigs with 98 in it, and i want to install w'2000 in the other partition, with 12 gigs.
When i try to install w'2000 (no update), the installation process goes fine until the first reboot, then the machine hangs with this fatal error "INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"
The system is a PIII with 128 megs of RAM.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by vertex In reply to Dual-Boot with w'98 and w ...

Your posting is a little bit unclear. To dual boot using Win2k you will need to have both partitions on the same harddisk. Both partition must be on the PRIMARY harddisk.

Collapse -

by JEAM In reply to Dual-Boot with w'98 and w ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Dual-Boot with w'98 and w ...

You need to set one of the OS's as the active
partition and then after loading WIN2K,use WIN98 system start up disk to replace the boot files,at boot up you should have a screen that gives you option to which operating system to load.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

I'm sorry some details aren't enough clear. This is my first post and my English isn't that fair.
I have only ONE physical HD with two partitions, primary with 2 Gb and extended with 12 Gb. The dual-boot menu works ok, i can start with w'98 withoutproblem, but with w'2000 i have the problem described above.
Thanks.

Collapse -

by Gregory Pleau In reply to Dual-Boot with w'98 and w ...

Many operating systems will do this if the second partition (assuming in this case it is the Win2K partition) is above the 1024 cylinder mark. This is a BIOS issue going back to the 80386.

Make sure your second partition is under the 3GB point or this can occur. What I did to accomodate a Win98 boot partition but still have room for Win98 stuff after installing another OS at the 2-20GB part of the disk, was to create another FAT parition after the other OS partition, creating a 'D' drive for Win98 that could be as big as I wanted.

Other things that can cause NTish OS's to freak out is removable drives that are open or if the disk driver ATAPI/iDE or SCSI are mismatched with what's in your system. Watch the boot screen that says 'F6 to specify SCSI Drivers' if you have anything other than IDE

Collapse -

I think my problem was that, but i finally installed Nt with VMware, and now works fine, emulating 98, 2000 and 95.

Collapse -

by Sudney In reply to Dual-Boot with w'98 and w ...

I've had the same problem you are having.

1. Disable all cache in the Bios. ( your computer will install really slow) after Win2000 is installed re-able your cache from your bios.

2. You might have some incompatible hardware.
( Video card is a big quess, use an old video card to install, then put the original card back in.)

3. Your BIOS may be incompatible with Win2000.

4. When you install boot up to Win98 and run setup from the win2000 CD.

5. Remove all cards and accessories from your computer except what is required to run your PC and put them back in one at a time.

6. Install win98 on the second partition, then install win2000 on the first partition. ( This is how I am doing it, I havn't tried it the other way around yet.)

You can preform these options in any order. Their are some ways to get around this. I am currently dual-booting Win2000 and Win ME. I have had to wipeout my harddisk often because of my mistakes learning. and every time I have problems with it. I get the same blue screen. Who knows why. You may need to unplugg all your external accrssories until win2000 in installed. Let me know if this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums