General discussion

Dual install Office XP and Office 2000

By sarahdee ·
Can you install Office XP adn Office 2000 on the same computer? I read the article dealing with a dual install of Office 97 and Office 2000, and was wondering if the process would be the same for an Office XP/Office 2000 dual install.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Dual install Office XP an ...

Although Microsoft does not recommend it, it is possible to install and use more than one version of Office on a single computer. If you want to install and use more than one version of Office on the same computer, you must install the earliest version first.

For example, if you want to use both Office 2000 and Office XP on the same computer, install Office 20007 first. This step is necessary because of the way registry keys, shared programs, file extensions, and other settings are managed for each version of Office, and for the programs that are included with each version of Office.

For more information, see Microsoft's Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office as described in article Q290576.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q290576

For another similar article, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q218861

(REMOVE SPACES from the pasted URL.)

Good luck,

Maxwell

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Dual install Office XP an ...

The second article I mentioned is probably the same one you refered to in your question.

Article Q290576, however, was written for Office XP.

Maxwell

Collapse -

by sarahdee In reply to Dual install Office XP an ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by kees.valkenswaard In reply to Dual install Office XP an ...

I installed Office XP first and later in a second different directory Office 2000. At that moment as mentined in the other answer the XP version was not working properly. However, with reapair [and the original XP Office CD] eveything seems to be OK. An additional advantage for me was that I had different language versions of the Office systems. The language module of one is now also used by the other. I have been told that this would perhaps not work if 2000 is installed first. I did not checkthis!

Collapse -

by kees.valkenswaard In reply to Dual install Office XP an ...

Shortcuts would be for the last installed program. However, repair would reinstall the XP shortcuts. The 2000 ones you should make yourself.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)