Question

• Creator
    Topic

EEE PC 1005HA Won’t Boot Properly?

by jaydenhoff ·

Hi, I’m trying to help a friend with her laptop, and I’m at a loss. She doesn’t recall downloading anything or viewing anything odd before her laptop crashed a couple of days ago.

I’ve tried several things, including using the boot options menu, but each time the laptop tries to boot up it goes through the normal Windows XP loading screen, and the goes to the screen asking if you would like to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc (sorry I don’t know the proper term for this window).

I’ve tried using Safe Mode to no avail, as well as booting with the “Last Known Good Config” option, yet each time it goes through the XP Start-Up screen it just returns to the same page. No errors or warning messages otherwise.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by jaydenhoff ·

In reply to EEE PC 1005HA Won’t Boot Properly?

Clarifications

This being an EEE limits your options somewhat

by oh smeg ·

You need to make a USB Boot Disc and do some diagnostics. For this you can use the Ultimate Boot CD and follow the directions for making a USB Thumb Drive here that starts with this text [i]Making UBCD memory stick [/i] Near the bottom of the page here

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html#usb

You can download the ISO File from the same web site after clicking on the preferred download method. As the UBCD is free if you are asked to pay for something you have hit the wrong link, [b]Note[/b] ignore the add on the web page it’s not connected with the Ultimate Boot CD. 😉

You can then test all of the hardware including the HDD, and if that’s fine try to repair the Windows OS.

Col

Reponse To Answer

by jaydenhoff ·

In reply to This being an EEE limits your options somewhat

Thanks. I was able to get my hands on an XP CD and a USB CD Drive, but I’m having trouble getting it to boot from the CD. I’ve changed the boot sequence, and I can’t figure out what else might be wrong. Is this so far gone that I’ll need to do a format instead of a repair?

Provided that you have the right type of USB Optical Drive

by oh smeg ·

It should boot but some of those little things require a Specific USB Drive to work off.

Try coping the XP Install Disc tot he Root of a USB Thumb Drive and setting the unit to boot from USB.

That should work. 😉

Col

Viewing 2 reply threads