General discussion

Errant IP 192 address being assigned..

By freested ·
I am a layperson running a NT4.0 network with DHCP. Going out on the same T1 line (school) I have another school that runs a Sun microsystems/Windows 2000/Citrix system. In the past if their Windows 2000 DHCP server was on, it gave my system ip addresses which caused problems. Their system uses static IP's so we turned off their DHCP server and all was well. Now I have a closet linux red hat system serving ham radio. They made it be outside my range and gateway. However, currently my fleet of around 150 computers are being assigned sporatically ip's in the 192 range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 My range is 10.1.9. with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. The errant gateway and ip addresses are both from the 192. range. Neither of the linux machines are using 192. One of them is using the same subnet numbers. So where is my system getting these bad ip's. It has only started since this closet linux booted up. Sorry this is so simple but I'm just a librarian trying to maintain status quo.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to Errant IP 192 address bei ...

Based on the history of the problem, my guess is that the new Linux box is probably the culprit. Out of the box, I believe it typically installs the DHCP daemon and the default DHCP scope would typically use the 192.168.1.0 network.

One way to verify this is to go to one of the workstations with one of these addresses and type "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt. Somewhere in all the lines of data should be the IP address of the DHCP server that supplied the address.

paul

Collapse -

by freested In reply to Errant IP 192 address bei ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by freested In reply to Errant IP 192 address bei ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Linux Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)