General discussion

Error 1328 SP2 install

By klh456 ·
I have been installing Office 2000 from our network for months. I first install Disk 1 (Professional with SR1) then Disk 2 and last SP2. On new WIN2K and WINXP installs, I am getting the following error with SP2:

Error 1328. Error applying patch to file C:\Config.msi\PT181.tmp. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more information contact your patch vendor.

I have checked TechNet and although there are references to this error, nonefit my situation.

Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Error 1328 SP2 install

by Ann777 In reply to Error 1328 SP2 install

Have you tried deleting the pt181.tmp file after the first install? Everything I see refers to this error after SP1.

So, I'd try deleting all temp files after installing CD 1 & 2 and/or rebooting and having the registry be re-read into memory before proceeding with the Service Pack 2 install.

Collapse -

Error 1328 SP2 install

by Ann777 In reply to Error 1328 SP2 install

Actually on thinking about this, because it is a temporary file, it's probably removed automatically after Office 2000 (SP1) is installed. The SP2 install cannot find the file because it no longer exists.

Reboot before the install of SP2.

Collapse -

Error 1328 SP2 install

by klh456 In reply to Error 1328 SP2 install

I have tried these suggestions but nothing has been successful. There is no config.msi on any computer I've checked.I have rebooted in between Office and SP2 no success. I have just found that SP3 is on the Internet so I am trying an install now using that.

Collapse -

Error 1328 SP2 install

by Joseph Moore In reply to Error 1328 SP2 install

Please read Technet article 308490 :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308490
NOTE: link is also available at http://tinyurl.com/2odk

Yes, that is an OfficeXP article, but it looks like the diagnosis tips will still work with Office 2000.
Pay important attention to the Windows Installer Logging sections.

hope this helps

Collapse -

Error 1328 SP2 install

I read the article but none of the log files it references are available. I am not doing an administrative install. The one section Error Numbers, actually has the exact message I am getting with a different tmp file, but none of the suggestions offered there help either. I suspect it may be the either WINXP, WIN2K or IE6 updates is causing the problem.

Collapse -

Error 1328 SP2 install

I downloaded SP3 for Office 2000 and used it. The error messages have gone away. Thanks for trying.

Collapse -

Error 1328 SP2 install

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)