Question

Error 426 while re-installing windows XP! Urgent Help

By Ali.0009 ·
Hello,

A day ago my pc was having startup problems etc, i decided to reinstall the windows, but after the process i recieve error 426 which says: Failed To Install Product Catalog

I tried several times but i got same error, after 5th try i deleted my windows partition again and made a fresh install and this time it worked, but to my astonishment, it installed a fresh copy of windows xp, now i get 2 boot menus of same windows xp, one which was newely installed, and other which was old with incomplete setup.

I tried to boot old Xp but it again gave me same error on setup page with 39 minutes remaining. However the other window works but i cant access the contents of my Hard drive and they seem to be hidden simply away.

Can i somehow make my old windows xp get to work? Or make my new xp allow me to see all of my hard disk contents?

Please help. I have tried using microsoft trouble shooting link, but it fails me as always, and dsnt works.

Please help.

regards

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Xp Issues

by Jarrett_Faulk In reply to Error 426 while re-instal ...

It seems to me you need to format the drive completely and start fresh. If you can try to download a program called UltimateBootCD and burn the ISO file to a cd using ActiveISO burner. Once that is done if you can boot your pc with the UBCD and use one of the HDD wiping tools to clear the disk. Then format it with the UBCD and reinstall windows.

Thats my suggustion

Collapse -

RE: 426 error

by PoppaTab In reply to Error 426 while re-instal ...

Hello,
If your installation is 100% working perhaps changing the boot manager will work for you. I am not sure if the whole OS is right according to the remark about not finding windows folder. Try EasyBCD to edit the boot manager at URL: http://neosmart.net/downloads/software/EasyBCD/EasyBCD%201.7.2.exe This program will allow you to edit the boot manager in simple terms. If there is a problem with any other aspect of the installation then a clean install as already stated above is in order. I hope this helps you.

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)