General discussion

Event 4199 in MS Windows 2000

By vicbee ·
In the last week or so I've been getting a systems warning pop-up which reads
Event ID : 4199
Source : TCP/IP
Description: The system detected an address conflict for IP address x.x.x.x with the system having network hardware address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result.

When searching the web on how to solve this issue I've come across this explanation/solution: "This is either a rare manufacturing mistake or you made a mistake while using LAA. To resolve the problem, you must locate the duplicate MAC address and either replace the NIC or fix your LAA setting".

I'm not sure what LAA is and I don't know how I might have used it to create this issue. I've been getting this warning after having downloaded Codecs off the net. I have not added any hardware (a friend downloaded pictures from her camera to my pc...)

Anyway, I'd like to fix this although my tech knowledge is ultra basic... Would someone take me through the step by step procedure to fiz this?...thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Follow-up on previous assessment

by vicbee In reply to Event 4199 in MS Windows ...

I've just noticed that the IP address given in the system warning pop-up is different from my IP address. SO my question is: how did the erronious IP address get there and how can I change it back to the correct one? Or is it what I should try to do? Thank you again for any feedback.

Back to IT Employment Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)