General discussion

Event ID 8003/RDR

By djames ·
I'm having problems with a constant event id appearing in the event viewer on the PDC machine. I cannot understand what it means even through the technet CD. Half the problem is I don't understand networking very much. The event is 8003 source RDR with the following message:- The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer MLGL-PLY-NTW18 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_CpqNF31. The master browser is stopping or an election isbeing forced. The machine name mlgl-ply-ntw18 is a client's machine. The event id i get happens to more than one machine. Can someone help me understand what this is. But if you reply to this, could you try to speak english as possible has i'm not hot where networking is concerned.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Event ID 8003/RDR

by James A Bailey In reply to Event ID 8003/RDR

This problem can occur if the subnet mask of the Windows NT client computer is incorrect or different from the PDC. The client computer attempts to promote itself to the master browser of the subnet and fails.
If this is the case, change subnet mask on the client machine to match the one on the PDC. To do this right click on Network Neighborhood and go to protocols, highlght tcp/ip and choose properties.

Collapse -

Event ID 8003/RDR

by djames In reply to Event ID 8003/RDR

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Event ID 8003/RDR

by Smurfman In reply to Event ID 8003/RDR

I have a few questions?...
Is the MLGL-PLY-NTW18 a BDC?
What messages are in the event log for this machine -> MLGL-PLY-NTW18 ?
How does this machine show up in Server Manager? Is it grayed out (if so then it is unregistered with the PDC)? Is the description of the machine the right one, ie if it is a BDC does it show Workstation or NT 4.0 Workstation?

Can the machine resolve NETBios Names? Can it see the PDC?

Consider this example, I have a BDC (or so the install of NT was) that when I connect to the network, I log on as my administrator, because the administrator account is local and the BDC isn't really looking at the PDC to authenticate the username. So I have logged on to my BDC, but it has not really registered itself in WINS or in Server Manager. Thus, when it logs on to the network, basically seeing itself, although it can ping other servers, it really does not know it's role on the network. So the machine trys to force an election on the network. The machine basically sends it's credentials out around the network, and try's to announce that it wants to be the master browser. Typically, the PDC is the master browser, so it seems to me that the pc that you have isn't really registering itself with the PDC. The next error was that happened was that the BDC was now out of Sync with the PDC. We then had to use a program called NETDOM you can find out about that on the tech net cd. Let me know what you find out. Even what you have tried.?
Smurfman

Collapse -

Event ID 8003/RDR

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Event ID 8003/RDR

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)