General discussion

Excel 2000 Error

By klh456 ·
I have a user who has an Access Database that is used to export data into Excel spreadsheets for her to create reports and manipulate data. I recently rebuilt her computer and now when she runs the Access program everytime it updates the Excel file it produces a General Protection Error. When I check the Event Viewer I see this error:

Source: Application Error
Category: None
Event I 1000

Faulting application excel.exe, version 9.0.0.8216, faulting module excel.exe, version 9.0.0.8216, fault address 0x00060870.

If she clicks Don't Send to close the error box everything has been exported fine. We need to get rid of the error box.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rkuhn In reply to Excel 2000 Error

That spreadsheet is most likely damaged. Try doing a repair on the file by clicking File - > Open - > and IN the open box, notice the small dropdown arrow ON the open button itself. This will allow you to repair the file.

Collapse -

by klh456 In reply to

Thanks, but this is not the case. The Access program creates numerous Excel files when it is running and they all produce the same error. Once created, they can be opened and manipulated in whatever way the user needs. The error only happens as Access creates or updates the XLS files.

Collapse -

Ok, so the problem isn't with Excel.

Trying repairing the db or do repair/reinstall of Access.

Collapse -

by klh456 In reply to

This is a brand new install of Office. I really believe there is something somewhere that will prevent this error message from popping up. It may be a registry edit but I can't find it.

Collapse -

Ok, I'm confused.

An error is occuring and popping up a message. Rather than fix the problem causing the error, you'd rather ignore the error and problem all together?

Glad you don't work here...oh, but if you manage to block the popup, let me know. I see 20-30 a day that I'd like to start blocking.

Collapse -

by klh456 In reply to

If it were only as easy as fixing the problem I would do it in a heartbeat. We have had this issue since the Access database was first written to perform this function. Since it is extremely complicated, pulling information from SAP, into Access and then exporting into Excel, I'm thankful it works as well as it does. The error message is nothing but a nuisance since everything works fine when it is closed. It is probably one of Microsoft's "features" that we found a way around. Also, since this is the only time Excel has any problem at all, I'm not going to spend hours and hours uninstalling and reinstalling trying to get it fixed. We went that route when it first appeared. Unfortunately the person who found the fix no longer works here and did not document it.

Collapse -

by DMambo In reply to Excel 2000 Error

Try a repair installation of Access (or Office if that's where it was installed from). Choose a Custom installation, allow the default location, then on the Features Selection window click Access at the top of the tree and install all features on computer.

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)