General discussion

Excel 2000 Error - user specific

By nschloss ·
I have a use that whenever they open a certain file (only this file), get the error: "Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." They can open any other spreadsheet but this one. Anyone else can open this spreadsheet including if on the same PC logged on as themselves. This suggested a profile issue so I reset the user profile to the standard default and they could open the file again. However, the same thing has happened again (with the same spreadsheet - exact same scenario again - just this user a problem - anyone else OK). What might be in the user profile that is causing this problem or is something else at the root of it?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Excel 2000 Error - user s ...

wow. that is a weird one. so you can logon as her and reproduce the problem? logon as you and problem goes away? and you have check local and domain user accounts...what is the os please?
i'd call MS on this one, bet you might get free support, you can always bail if not...
am sure you looked but i also searched http://support.microsoft.com for Excel 2000 close error all words and found couple things. one said might be problem if document contained DDE. had hotfix for it. but nothing that sounded like your thing. if i knew your os and sp versions maybe could search better but here is the gist of the other one:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 326093
Excel 2000: Shared Workbook Quits Unexpectedly When You Try to Save
SYMPTOMS
When you open or save a shared Microsoft Excel 2000 workbook, Excel may quit unexpectedly, and you may receive the following error message:

Excel has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
CAUSE
This problem may occur if the workbook contains custom views, and one or more of these views contains a multiple of 10 page breaks (10, 20, 30, and so on).
RESOLUTION
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that this article describes. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled <snip>

Collapse -

by nschloss In reply to

Rebuilt the user profile and problem went away ...

Collapse -

by nschloss In reply to Excel 2000 Error - user s ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)