Question

Excel 2002 retain formula in cells while deleting or changing numbers

By janellejoy7 ·
I have set up some fairly simple worksheets to track business expenses, etc in Excel 2002. Theyre working wonderfully but I want to know how to change the numbers in a particular cell without changing/deleting the formula - basically how to keep the formula intact while entering a different number. For example, in one column I have the amount a vendor charged me for something - the running subtotals are all working properly but suppose that after I review the worksheet I find that I entered the wrong amount the vendor charged and thus need to change the amount. If I simply delete the incorrect amount and type in the new amount does it alter the original formula that's keeping track of my subtotals?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Not if the formula is in a different cell

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Excel 2002 retain formula ...

If you have amounts in one column of cells and formulas in another column which are keeping your running balances/subtotals/whatever, changing one of the amounts in the first column, where only numbers are stored, won't change the formulas in the second column. However, as you well know, changing the AMOUNT will be reflected on the bottom line.

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)