General discussion

Exchange 2000 HELP ME!!!

By Shanghai Sam ·
Alright Exchange gurus,

I'm trying to set up my Exchange 2000 server. I've previously been able to set up the beta version and it worked fine. I kept the same settings, but Exchange 2000 will only half work. I can send mail from inside my network to the outside world, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why I cannot receive mail from the outside world to my network. Using the message tracking, I can see that my email makes it to my Exchange box all the way until it gets to the advanced queue, which then fails and spits out an NDR.

I read that Exchange 2000 needs DNS set up in order to run, but I did not run into this when I installed the beta version. I installed DNS on this server, listing itself as an MX server. I think I have done this correctly... Any thoughts??? Thanks guys!
RAchEL

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 HELP ME!!!

by McKayTech In reply to Exchange 2000 HELP ME!!!

I don't have the definite answer for you, but I don't think it's a DNS issue if the mail is getting as far as your Exchange server. If you have any doubts, you can always establish a telnet SMTP session to make sure the domain name resolves properly (if you can telnet by IP but not by name, THEN you could assume a DNS issue).

I'm pretty sure it's a routing issue within Exchange itself but unfortunately, I can't quite put my finger on how to fix it so maybe someone else can step in at this point and carry forward with that part.

regards!

paul

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 HELP ME!!!

by estebandelatorre In reply to Exchange 2000 HELP ME!!!

Exchange 2000 relays on A 100% HEALTY DNS.
I think that if you are abl?e to send mail to inet, the dns should be working fine. Also if dns was not properly configured, you won't be able to install exchange.
What may be happening is at MTA side while matching the name with the internet name. That's called adressing rules.

Just an idea...

Collapse -

Exchange 2000 HELP ME!!!

by jereg In reply to Exchange 2000 HELP ME!!!
Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)