General discussion

exchange 2000 spam

By ktam ·
help! my exchange server is getting hammered by spam and i can't stop it. the server is sitting behind a d-link dfl-300 firewall that is only passing port 25 traffic through. i've stopped the default smtp server and tried creating a new one. no sooner does it start, there's 5 or 6 "users" in the current session and a thousand messages in the queue. none of these are actual users and i have relaying turned off, regardless if they can authenticate or not. it seems like there's something running on the server that allows this. a virus maybe? norton enterprise av client as well is norton for ms exchange is running on the server. windows 2000 sp3, exchange 2000 sp3.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

exchange 2000 spam

by ktam In reply to exchange 2000 spam

one other note, all these "users" appear to be logging in from the external virtual ip on the firewall that is assigned to the exchange server.

Collapse -

exchange 2000 spam

by curlergirl In reply to exchange 2000 spam

Is the external "virtual" IP you are referring to an actual physical IP address that is assigned to your server or router? Is the mail being relayed or is it simply being delivered to your server? If it's being relayed, then you have to look at whether you really do have relaying turned off properly on the server and whether it's actually working the way it's supposed to. If you are being spammed without further relaying, then the only choice you have would be to get some anti-spamming software and put it on your server to prevent it from accepting these emails. I've been looking at two such products - Nemx Power Tools for Exchange and GFI Mail Essentials. Both seem to be very workable products; some things I like better about one andsome things I like better about the other, so if you're going to evaluate this type of software it would be good to try each one yourself. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

exchange 2000 spam

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

exchange 2000 spam

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)