General discussion

Exchange 2003 backup solution

By bonmic69 ·
Exchange 2003 backup solution
I am wondering what is needed to Fully restore exchange. Because I am looking to streamline my backups due to the ever growing amount of space that Exchange uses. Right now I am running two different backups One for the System State which the backup size is 56.3Gb. This includes
Shadow Copy component\userdata\exchange server
And the second job backs up Exchange folder including MS public folders & MS Information Stores which totals 37.68Gb.

Now I am also trying to fit another 15Gb Data backup onto this disk as well.

Now the problem is that I am using a 50Gb(native)
AIT tape the can store 130Gb(compressed)

So I think my real question is do I need to include the Shadow copys in my backup along with the backup of exchange.

I am using Veritas 9.1

And what do you think would be my best options for backing up if I still need to be running both jobs to cover exchange.

Thank you for your help and advice
Mike

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by netlord80 In reply to Exchange 2003 backup solu ...

I would exclude the shadow copy components. From an exchange standpoint, you are much better off with your regular backups. Veritas and shadow copy can have issues from time to time.

Collapse -

by bonmic69 In reply to Exchange 2003 backup solu ...

OK so if I do exclude the Exchange part of my system state backup I will be fine restorying Exchange If it ever crashes. And just for a reference what Should I be backingup for exchange.

Thanks

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)