General discussion

Exporting contacts in Office 2000

By dharrison ·
I have a client that can't find any of the software that came with her Sony Vaio laptop. She is running Office 2000 premiere. When trying to export her contacts - it states that must be installed. I tried to use my office 2000 Professional CD - but of course that wasn't compatible. Any suggestions on how I can export these to her new PC?? She is running Windows 2000 Professional.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by JustAnAdmin In reply to Exporting contacts in Off ...

All of this should be easily done by using the Import/Export option under Outlook's file menu.

Choose file, import and export.
Export to a file
Select type of file (usually I use comma separated values windows)
Choose what you want to export
Choose where you want to save the file.

Once you have that, you can pretty much do the reverse to import it back into Outlook.

Hope that helps!

Collapse -

by JustAnAdmin In reply to Exporting contacts in Off ...

Side note: the message about it needing to be installed could be based upon what type of file you are trying to save it as. I get the same message when I chose the DOS version of a CSV file, but the option for the Windows version worked just fine.

Collapse -

by dharrison In reply to Exporting contacts in Off ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by VinnyD In reply to Exporting contacts in Off ...

The default installation of Office or Outlook does not load the Export portions of the program. They are marked to install on first time use.

Without the correct Office installation CD you will not be able to get the export to work.

On your client's laptop, Outlook should have stored the data in an OST or PST file.

You can copy this file to her new computer and see if you can import from it into the new Outlook.

Collapse -

Never thought I could just copy the PST file. I thought for sure you had to export - knowing how easy Microsoft makes some of their stuff. This worked perfectly - Thanks.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)