General discussion

HELP----xp to 2000 migration

By shayden ·
can you do a BACKUP ON WIN XP AND RESTORE SETTINGS TO A 2000 MACHINE

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Are you kidding?

by Neo330 In reply to HELP----xp to 2000 migrat ...

You can back anything up and restore it. It just depends on what backup software you are using. To answer your question, your data can be restored, but not the system state data (i.e. your registry and other system components)

Collapse -

I'm not sure...

by bwelsh In reply to Are you kidding?

how reliable a machine's applications would run if you went backwards from Windows XP to Windows 2000. Be sort of like going from Windows ME to Windows 95

Collapse -

xp to 2000

by fazeel In reply to HELP----xp to 2000 migrat ...

Sorry Dear it is not possible due to backward compatibility issue.

Collapse -

Data files

by TheChas In reply to HELP----xp to 2000 migrat ...

The only thing you can save and move between XP and 2000 are your data files.

This includes most of your IE favorites.

You will need to re-install ALL software.
Not just because of differences between XP and W2K, but also because your W2K system will have it's own registry. ALL applications need to be properly registered to operate properly.

There are a few software packages that claim to be able to transport application installations between different PCs. I don't recall if any state that they can transport an application to an older OS.

By the way, you will usually get a faster response, and more options if you post a question in the Technical Q&A section.
1 benefit of posting your questions there, is that you get an e-mail every time someone posts an answer to your question.

Chas

Back to IT Employment Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)