Question

How can I determine whether an Office 2007 product key is valid?

By chuckd ·
I recently purchased an Office 2007 package that failed validation. It turned out it was sold with a VLK that was discontinued. Is there a way to check a product key BEFORE installation? For example, is there a query at Microsoft to check this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

If you purchase thought a Authorized M$ Reseller

by OH Smeg In reply to How can I determine wheth ...

You can get a replacement Product Key that works by ringing M$ and following the questions asked.

As far as I know that is the only way to get Legitimate Software that isn't a Pirate Copy.

Col

Collapse -

Thanks, but my question is more specific

by chuckd In reply to If you purchase thought a ...

I just want to know if it's possible to determine the validity of MS software (mainly Office) without having to install it first.

Collapse -

Valid Key

by PoppaTab In reply to Thanks, but my question i ...

Hello,

If you buy it at a real dealership, the key will be valid or you can do as Oh Smeg suggests. I had a friend who bought XP Pro on Ebay and MS turned down the activation. After calling MS they offered to give a new copy of the OS to my friend. That was only done by turning in the disk that he had purchased on Ebay. Sometimes even valid keys for purchased items still come up as bad. All this ends with contacting MS about the software. If you have a disk that looks really good and did not purchase from an authorized reseller; they will tell you it is fraud. A smart person can find the key on the disk they bought. As far as I know, you can't just ask MS if the key is good. Always use WGA approved software and you won't have that problem.

Collapse -

Valid Key

by chuckd In reply to Valid Key

OK, thanks to both of you. In my case, the seller took back the non-valid SW and fully refunded the money, but being able to return it to MS is a good option. The reason I was trying to determine validity before installation is I usually keep 1-2 copies in inventory as needs come up from varrious clients, so it seems I may need to install and uninstall on a test machine just to determine whether the SW is valid.

Collapse -

Here you could still maintain the Inventory

by OH Smeg In reply to Valid Key

But just change the Product Key related to each Copy as the Install Media is the same for the Same Version of the Product just the Product Keys are different.

Col

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)