General discussion

How do I install Windows XP over Win 2000 Pro?

By thenims ·
I have a laptop that has Win 2000 Pro and it was given to me as a present. It has admin restrictions on there. However I want to install Windows XP. Any help?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win XP over Win 2K

by Info-Safety, LLC In reply to How do I install Windows ...

First of all, you need to make sure you have a copy of all the data you need to save. From there, I strongly recommend that you reformat and install clean, as the upgrade process can be pretty bumpy. Hopefully, you are installing win XP Pro, instead of the home version.

Good luck.

Craig Herberg

Collapse -

Re: Win XP over Win 2K

by thenims In reply to Win XP over Win 2K

thanks heaps, I will give it a shot and let you know what happened :)

Collapse -

Win XP over Win 2K

by Info-Safety, LLC In reply to Re: Win XP over Win 2K

You're welcome. And as always when working with windows, make sure there are no sharp objects nearby! Good luck.

Collapse -

Win XP Pro over Win 2000

by thenims In reply to Win XP over Win 2K

Haha of course.. I got myself a boot disk from this place http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win98_img.exe ... worked a treat at making a good boot disk...

but of course something had to go wrong... during formating, it found the hard drive of the laptop (which is an ancient Toshy Sat Pro 4600) has bad clusters! JOY... have left it to recover the clusters overnight and as I right this its still going...

but thanks anyways

Collapse -

Great Web Site

by faith_michele In reply to Win XP Pro over Win 2000

That http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ was a very good web site. What I found refreshing was that there was no advertising and the "Tips and Tricks" section had great easy to follow instructions.

When I upgraded some computers from Win2K to WinXP Pro, there were imaging errors found during an Active Directory migration. What I had to do was reformat the hard drive. Just like the advice that you were already given.

Thanks and Good Luck,
Faith

Back to Community Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)