General discussion

HP Pavilion 511n Making Me Crazy!

By cbabcock ·
When our small business was brand new, one of the Directors bought an HP Pavilion with WindowsXP Home Edition on it, which I immediately hated. Well, being new and having very little start up cash - we put UPS's on the back burner. (TROUBLE) A brief power hit while a program that is essential to the company was running knocked us down. When the computer booted back up, I could no longer get the program to run - deleting and re-installing did not help.

Now the real problem - in a knee jerkreaction - I bought and installed Win2000 Pro onto it, after formatting the harddrive. The program we had problems with worked, but now the Modem that came with the Pavilion, which is a SMART Modular Technologes V.90 56K will not load and I cannot find drivers for Win2k in their driver downloads.

So this question actually has two parts ... 1) Anybody know how to get those drivers? or 2) The Pavilion is peer-to-peer networked with a Dell Power Edge that IS NOT a server, but could be if it wasn't doing something else and is on a dial up. How can I configure the internet via this network connection?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to HP Pavilion 511n Making M ...

Drivers:

http://www.modulartech.com/support/which_PCI_modem.htm

(remove any embedded spaces in the URL)

To allow more than one computer to access a single network connection in a peer-to-peer environment, the Internet connection must exist on a computer whose OS has Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) capability (Win98SE, WinME, Win2K or later) and ICS must be enabled and configured.

Collapse -

by cbabcock In reply to HP Pavilion 511n Making M ...

Haven't had a chance to check the driver site, yet, but was able to connect to the internet using the ICS.

Collapse -

by stuart_at_oz In reply to HP Pavilion 511n Making M ...

Can't help with the drivers, but I can throw in my 2 cents worth on the connection sharing...

If you want to share the internet connection on the Power Edge, you will need to install some sort of connection sharing or proxy software....

If youuse MS's internet sharing software, you have to install it on the client as well, so it knows how to talk to the shared connection.(as I understand it)

I use ProxyPlus at home on a W98 machine, it's a service that runs at start up and allows other PC's to connect to the internet through it. It includes the ability to dial up from the client too. The client set up is dead simple - no additional software required. Just set the proxy settings on the client to your network TCP/IP address for the machine with the ProxyPlus on it, and the relevant port (detailed in the help files).

the FREE version will support up to 2 concurrent users, and it will work on W9x, NT, ME and 2000.

See:
http://www.proxyplus.cz/ or
http://www.proxyplus.net/

Hope this helps,

Stuart

Collapse -

This wil be handy for the other computers in my office. Thanks.

Collapse -

I was able to connect the HP Pavilion to the Dell Power Edge by using the ICS in Win2000 Pro making the Dell the "server". Then I was able to connect the HP by telling the Connection that I was on a LAN - just like a "real" network. Nothing to it!

Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums