Question

I have microsoft office 2003 on this computer

By mstors ·
and I have office 2007 on a computer in FL. I don't like the o7 as well so I've kept the 03 up here even though I have 2 downloads left for the 07. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the 07 but I'd prefer not to install it here. I received a document created in 07 and I'm asked if I want to download a compatability pack so I can open it. Is that just for read only? Another question: if I do download the o7 on this computer, what happens to all of my saved 03 documents?
Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Compatibility pack = good

by tmalo627 In reply to I have microsoft office 2 ...

In the 2007 version the default file extension is different from 2003. The older version cannot recognize the file at all without the compatibility pack. There are certain features added to the 2007 version that required the new extension. Some of these features may be lost in the conversion, but you'll have your file. You can save files created in the 2007 version with the old extension. You just have to watch what you're doing.

Also, if you upgrade your current 2003 to the 2007 version, your files will remain intact and unharmed.

Collapse -

Office 2007 compatibility pack install

by bcgumbert In reply to I have microsoft office 2 ...

I have Office 2003 on my home machine and have not bothered to install 2007. I have the computability pack installed and it mainly will allow you to view and interact with Office 2007 documents which I receive from time to time. It does not affect the normal usage of Office 2003. Hope this helps.

Bruce

Collapse -

Don't forget to d/l and install the service packs

by Kenone In reply to I have microsoft office 2 ...

Yes, the compatability pack has service packs and updates There was at least an SP1 maybe an SP2 as well by now

Collapse -

Depends on what you need to do

by Slayer_ In reply to I have microsoft office 2 ...

If you need to edit word docs from 07, then yes, you need the compatibility pack, however, if you simply want to view or print them. You can simply use MS's free Word viewer.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums