General discussion

ibm thinkpad 760xl

By bwells47 ·
I cannot get an ibm thinkpad 760xl to boot to ANY boot disk. I asked a tech, online, who thought that they had answered my question, but they didn't read it very carefully. I have tried every boot disk from every operation system I can think of. Using a utility from the ibm website, I got it to come up saying "starting dr. dos", but then a whole bunch of encrypted stuff comes up. I tried a docking station utility, and it came up saying "transferring system files" then just sits there after that, with the curser blinking. I don't know how to get into the bios. I looked everywhere on the ibm website, trying to find out how, but never did find out. I have no manual or user's guide, as someone gave me the laptop, because he couldn't get it to do anything, but blink the curser. I would appreciate any input.
bwells47@yahoo.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Corrupt BIOS

by TheChas In reply to ibm thinkpad 760xl

It sounds like you may have a corrupt BIOS, or at least corrupt BIOS settings.

The problem with Thinkpads is that it is specifically difficult to enter BIOS settings.

If a password has been set, and you do not know it, IBM needs to reset the password.

1 thing to check, is the charge status of the battery.

If the battery has a problem, it could be loading down the system and causing the boot problems.

Chas

Collapse -

Accessing the Settings

by midwest1 In reply to ibm thinkpad 760xl

power off hold down F1 key when powering up. Wait for beep then release it.

Back to Community Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)