General discussion

IEEE 1394a port

By dsimms ·
I recently purchased a Dell Precision 380 and it has a 1394a connection on the front of the box. Can someone explain to me to what purpose does this serve? I know this is a high speed data transfer connection but can someone also explain how it can improve my day to day computer experience?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to IEEE 1394a port

The regular name is Firewire if that's any help and has the possibility of up to 800 MEGS Per Second though 400 would be closer to the real speed.

As for improving your computing life unless you have a Firewire device it will not at the moment but then again USB ports where around for a long time before USB devices became accepted and available.

About the only thing that you'll see with Firewire on it is a Digital Video Camera which will allow faster data transfers to the HDD though there are some USB/Firewire HDD Caddies currently available though I'm not sure how fast the data transfer is from these. But as time goes by there will be more Firewire devices as they replace USB so eventually it will be something useful to have but maybe not for a little while yet.

Col

Collapse -

by dsimms In reply to IEEE 1394a port

Thanks you, that sums it up for me in a manner that is easily understood.

Back to Community Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)