General discussion

Implement Windows 2003 Exchange Server

By powlboyjr ·
Can anyone tell me if you can host your own POP3 email to avoid email hosting costs. I know Exchange Server 2003 is an email solution, but someone told me that they tried it once and it required everyone to have to email addresses.

Also, I was also wondering if I could host our company's own website and base this email off of the website.

Any insight into costs and hardware requirements would be very appreciated. Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jon In reply to Implement Windows 2003 Ex ...

Exchange server is an email server that adds email functionality to your organization. It is the source of e-mail addresses. You do not need to have e-mail addresses in order to utilize Exchange.

Here's an example of something I recently set up.

I installed Small Business Server 2003 on a fairly powerful desktop at my house. With Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP, and Exchange server, I was up and running as a fully functioning domain within a few hours, with e-mail.

My internal domain name is office.lan (if you use .com you have issues with DNS later, and if you use the default recommended .local you'll have problems with Mac users connecting to the domain).

My exchange server is setup with a public domain name.

Each time I add a new user to the network, an exchange e-mail box is created and their network user logon @ the domain.com is their e-mail address.

I then have a dynamic DNS service such as no-ip.com managing my public domain and forwarding all of my e-mail traffic on a custom SMTP port (Cox blocks 25) on my home lan. The listening SMTP port is configurable in Exchange System Manager.

With all of that in place, I have remote access to my e-mail via pop3 or Outlook Web Access.

If you want to do it right, the hardware costs can well exceed $5,000 - $10,000. If you want to do it half-arsed...well, you can do it like I did for my home use and install it on a dumbed-down workstation with tinkertoy networking hardware like any off-the-shelf linksys product.

Do it right, IMHO, if you're in a production environment. Get yourself a nice server (Supermicro [ www.supermicro.com ] ), use Small Business Server 2003 (super easy to install and setup), and park your domain somewhere that can forward the traffic to your network.

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)