General discussion

import email message in Outlook 2003

By edudley ·
Just installed Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. Trying to setup users email. All goes well except the importing of email from another machine that had Win95 and outlook express 5.5.
I have copied the correct file from the old machine to the new machine. I use the import/export feature and select import internet mail and addresses. Then I select Outlook 4x,5x,6x. I select the folder that the email messages are in. It gives me the following error "The mail file could not be opened. If another app is using it, close and retry." This is the only program open. I tried given the user admin rights to the machine but that didn't help.

Thanks
Edie

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mikex In reply to import email message in O ...

use the import/export feature on the 95/98 machine and export all of the folders which are inside the outlook (e.g. inbox,sent,tasks,contacts...) do not forget to click the small checkbox "Include subfolders" in .PST file format - then use again the same function in outlook 2003 machine (you'll need to recreate the same outlook folder structure like on the 95/98 machine - like personal folder, or other specific things, message delivery folder) and import the PST files that you export from the old pc (again don't forget to check include subfolders checkbox)

Collapse -

by edudley In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by edudley In reply to import email message in O ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)