General discussion

Improper shutdown of notebook: compaq presario 2100

By bhatnagar_nitin ·
Hello,

I have a compaq presario 2100 laptop. These days I am facing a weird problem of it getting shutdown without any notification. While I am working on it, the notebook shuts down automatically at any time without any notification. I don't think that there is any virus/sasser worm on the system cause, even sasser worm gives a notification of 1 minute shut down time in windows. I strongly see it as a hardware issue but I don't know what it is. Could anyone help me understand the issue and how can I resolve the same? Due to this I am not able to work any more on my notebook as it always keeps me stranded.

Thanks,
Regards,
Nitin

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Couple questions first:

by Mickster269 In reply to Improper shutdown of note ...

1. Does it shut after a certain amount of time? Is it consistantly shutting down after "X" minutes?

2. When you re-powere up, does the amount of time before it shuts down again remain the same? Or does it speed up between shut downs?

3. When it shuts down, does it go thru a shut-down screen, or does it just completely power off?

Collapse -

Its improper shutdown

by bhatnagar_nitin In reply to Couple questions first:

1. No, it is not a regular shut down time. It happens at irregular times and is continuous.

2. No again. I suppose it is no way related to time because it is irregular and seems to be some hardware problem which I am not able to figure out.

3. No. It doesn't go through a shut down screen. It just completely power off. That's where my compass points to: some kind of h/w problem.

Collapse -

I might have a solutions.

by michael In reply to Its improper shutdown

I believe I have a solution for you. Unfortunately yuo won't like it. There are two things you can try. One: Remove the battery and ac adapter adn press down on the power button for 30 seconds. This should reset the machine. Two: it's a processor issue and requires you to open it and check it out. Normally if the processor overheats it shutdown without any notice. I hope this has been helpful.

Collapse -

I am having similar

by medic221 In reply to Couple questions first:

The time spans decrease, seems like it is an overheating issue, but not sure

Collapse -

Check your ac dc adapter jack

by carlossedillo77 In reply to I am having similar

Some models like mine have a short that occurs in the dc adapter jack which cause a battery discharge. I got the same exact symptom. Need to replace the plug on the mother board.

Collapse -

this happened to me, too

by jpaypal In reply to I am having similar

And I managed to fix it! Turns out it was an overheating problem cause the fans are on the bottom of the labtop. I started using the labtop on top of a basket of sorts with lots of wholes in it. I don't have any of those problems anymore.

Collapse -

Suggest you try the "Questions" forum.

by deepsand In reply to Improper shutdown of note ...

The "Discussion" forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution.

Post problems such as this to the "Question" forum, rather than the "Discussion" forum. There are those who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution, and that's where they go to look for such.

Collapse -

Same problem, overheating

by orioniori In reply to Improper shutdown of note ...

I got the same problem. Turned out to be overheating. Fan does not work well.
Chill it a little bit in the snow, outside or anywhere with low temp. works fine again. a laptop cooling is also a good choice.

Back to Community Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)