General discussion

Insert text within an oval - Word 2000

By rquisenb ·
How can I use Word to produce text within an oval shape?
All that I have been able to get text in a rectangular shape within the oval that I selected.
I want the text to be ?tight justified? against the oval boundary.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Insert text within an ova ...

How was the "oval shape" created?

Have you thought of using Word Art?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010552731033.aspx

Collapse -

by rquisenb In reply to

I have looked at WordArt, but I could not figure out how to use it to create text within an oval. I am able to justify text tight against the outside of an oval.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Insert text within an ova ...

Is the "oval" created in some other program?

Or are you needing to create text in an oval shape?

If the oval was created in some other program, you may not be able to easily set text into the shape with Word.

A possibility would be to create the shape and the text in Visio.

Collapse -

by rquisenb In reply to

I am trying to create text in an oval shape. I created the oval in Word using drawing tools in order to have a boundary to tight wrap the text against.

Collapse -

by fluidtech In reply to Insert text within an ova ...

Click on the "Oval" tool in the drawing menu.
Draw your oval, then right click on it and hit the "add text" option.
You can format the text from there.

Collapse -

by fluidtech In reply to

sorry had a brain cramp or sumpin...didn't notice the last lines of your request, will keep looking

Collapse -

by rquisenb In reply to

All that I have been able to get text in a rectangular shape within the oval that I selected.
I want the text to be ?tight justified? against the oval boundary. (I now see your comment - thank you for "plugging away" with me on this.)

Collapse -

by parier In reply to Insert text within an ova ...

As a test, do this:

1. Open a new doc
2. Type "This is only a test!"
3. Click on the Oval (called Oval on hover), if not visible, go to View, Toolbars, Drawing)
4. Click and drag to position and size the oval on the page (but not on a word yet)
5. Once drawn (about a 2" x 2" oval), right click on the oval and select Format AutoShape and click on the Layout tab and select In Front of Text - this allows the oval to float to any position you drag it to.
6. Single clicking on the oval allows you to resize.
Additionally, you can position the oval by holding CRTL and using the arrow keys to move the oval at a pixel at a click. Moving the oval without CTRL moves it about 1/8" per keystroke using the arrows keys.

Also, when you created the oval and if it is inside the textbox, CUT and PASTE it outside for additional control/movement and don?t forget to make the FILL color transparent (No fill) to allow oval over words such as ONLY in the sentence we created in step 2.

You can download this example here:
http://eparisek.com/OvalTest.zip

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by rquisenb In reply to

Thank you for your detailed instructions, but what you showed me was how to position an oval over some text. What I want to do is to ?justify? several lines of text within an oval shape ? ?tight? against the oval outline.
See the following which I did manually.
Format the following text into an oval:
Aa dddd bb ccc a dddd eeee ccc dddd dddd eeee dddd eee bb dddd bb ccc gggggg aa ccc zzzzz bb
A rough example of the desired result
Aa
dddd bb
ccc a dddd
eeee ccc dddd
dddd eeee dddd
eee bb dddd bb
ccc gggggg aa
ccc zzzzz
bb

Back to Software Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)