Question

Inspiron 1200 external Moniter problem

By ryanincro ·
I copied this from my Yahoo Answers question: I have a dell Inspiron 1200 notebook, and a dell moniter. Whenever i hook up the moniter it says in powersave mode. I press fn crt/lcd, and nothing happens. The only time that the screen works, is when i start up my computer, then when it gets to the log in screen, it switches back. I have all the up to date bios and video drivers.
3 hours ago - 3 days left to answer.
Additional Details

2 hours ago
i have an intel graphics card

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Sounds like external graphics is KaPuut!

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Inspiron 1200 external Mo ...

When you hook up the external monitor, it is normal not to have a signal until you turn on the computer. However, if once you login, the monitor returns to displaying the default graphic (power save mode), it's entirely possible that the external graphics portion of the MB in the notebook has partially gone out. The only way to tell for sure is to test with another monitor that is known to be good. If that monitor works, your own monitor can't handle the additional signal boost once Windows starts.

There's also another thing to check. Instead of pressing fn crt/lcd, try going into the Windows display properties, right click the 2nd monitor shown and tell it to "Activate".

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)