General discussion

Installing Windows 2000 and 98 together

By mousy ·
I have a machine running Windows 2000 Professional but I do need to install Windows 98 SE and be able of selecting the operating system I need at the time of logon. How do I accomplish this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tchieng In reply to Installing Windows 2000 a ...

You could try using a program call "System Commander" or "Boot Magic". If you don't want to use these programs, you need to remove Windows 2000 and install Windows 98 first, then Windows 2000 second. Windows 2000 is smart enought to cohabitate with 98 and will allow you to choose which operating system to start upon startup...

Collapse -

by mousy In reply to Installing Windows 2000 a ...

Thank you!

Collapse -

by tchieng In reply to Installing Windows 2000 a ...

For got to tell you that you should install Windows 2000 on a different drive other than C. It will work on the same drive, but a couple of programs like Outlook Express will not work in W98 after the 2000 install.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by avachon In reply to Installing Windows 2000 a ...

Hi, it is true that windows 98 should be installed first, followed by win2k (both on a fat partition for the installation). That's optimal. Now powerquest has partition magic which allows you to load another operating system without overwriting the boot loader. I believe you would need version 5.0 for windows2000. Check it out at www.powerquest.com The added benefit to this utility is that if you want to change your partitions on the fly you can so it has usefulness beyond this one problem. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)