General discussion

Internet explorer

By msfiroudis ·
Hi,
When I install a operating system for win95 or 98.Does it give me the option to install or not install Internet Explorer and outlook Express. I would not to have them installed at all on my computer.Thanks in Advance..

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Internet explorer

by Ann777 In reply to Internet explorer

This is Microsoft... no there is no option to not install ie or outlook express. The basic Win9x installes will place the ie on the desktop and outlook exp, but you have the option of deleting them from the desktop.

If you clikc on Internet Explorer, after the first install of the os, then you can complete that setup of ie or outlook express. You do not need to complete that setup.... just delete those icons.

Collapse -

Internet explorer

by Ann777 In reply to Internet explorer

You might also want to browse to your Online Folders, and delete everything in there as well. That will remove the setup files for internet access.

Collapse -

Internet explorer

by msfiroudis In reply to Internet explorer

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Internet explorer

by purple713 In reply to Internet explorer

If you want to uninstall Outlook Express after you have install Win98, do it from the Control Panel, Add/Remove software. Be warned that if you are going to be using Outlook 2000, you will need to have Express installed. You can also get rid of IEfrom here as well.

Collapse -

Internet explorer

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Internet explorer

by Berserker In reply to Internet explorer

You can check out this program here that allows user's to select IE & Outlook as an option in the setup program.
www.98lite.net

Collapse -

Internet explorer

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Internet explorer

by john.thierry In reply to Internet explorer

Internet Explorer will use some of it's programs/files for other programs such as some CDrom disks that contain commands for IE. Deleting this is not a very good idea, as you will have crashes after crashes. Outlook Express, You can disable from Internet access. Deleting these is asking for trouble.

Collapse -

Internet explorer

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Internet explorer

by Liaor In reply to Internet explorer

When you install Win95 or Win98, you can choose not to install Outlook Express by choosing the custom install option during installation.
Tell it you want to select the components you want to install.
However, I know for sure that in Win98, you cannot opt to not install IE for it is an integral part of the OS.
I do not remember on Win95. On "A" versions or below, I think it's installed as default but I do not remember if you could opt out.
On "B" versions or above, I think you probably don't have a choice since on the startup it shows "with Microsoft Internet Explorer"

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next