General discussion

IOS error: restart windows AMD K6/2 400

By ksreid ·
I have a system that will not load into Windows 95. AMD K6/2 400. I downloaded the patch associated with the problem between osr2 and this cpu, still no change. It won't go into safe mode, I had to put the drive in another computer to apply thispatch. It went into MS-Dos compatibility mode when I put it back in the original system.
I've also tried repartitioning and changing the partition size on the drive, and low level formatting. I'm totally stumped on this one. The patch got me into windows, but in msdos compat. mode. Help!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by grbeckmeyer In reply to IOS error: restart window ...

Sounds like you need to install the chipset drivers for your motherboard, it might have changed when you put the drive in the other computer. First I would try removing all devices under "Hard Disk controllers" from device manager (I'm assuming you're in compat. mode due to C: drive?) and see if it will install proper driver when you reboot. Make sure you backup your registry first.
BTW, another way around the getting the patch installed would be to manually set your motherboard for a k6/2 300, it should boot OK then.

Collapse -

by ksreid In reply to IOS error: restart window ...

I tried these things and it didn't make a difference. Also, you have to set the M/B manually in order to get the system to respond to the CPU anyway.
Any other suggestions??

Collapse -

by ksreid In reply to IOS error: restart window ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)