General discussion

ISP Dialup Account for iPAQ H3870 HH

By wcbattey ·
I want to setup a dialup account for the Compaq iPAQ H3870 Pocket PC running Windows CE 3.0 (w/Pocket PC 2002's Pocket Internet Explorer) that my company bought for me. However, I do not know what ISP software is compatible with/ would be best to install on the iPAQ H3870.

I had looked at signing up with the company that already provides us with our T-1 data and voice services, or with AT&T. AT&T has a basic business plan that offers a low rate and the right amount of hours I need. The problem is, that during AT&T online signup process I had to indicate the OS. Windows CE was not listed among the available selections (e.g. Win 98, Win 2000 etc.).

To this point, I have been able to select and successfully install software applications and hardware (e.g. Compaq folding keyboard, Socket 56K CF Modem Card and Socket 10/100 Ethernet CF Card) for the iPAQ H3870 based on vendors' identification of Windows CE 3.0/Pocket PC 2002 support. The applications and device drivers are installed via the MS ActiveSync connection between my desktop PC and the iPAQ H3870 in its cradle. FYI -- I have the Socket 56K CF Modem card software already installed on the iPAQ device, and the modem card itself is in a Compaq CF - PC Card adapter andinstalled in one of the two available slots in the Compaq Dual-Slot PC Card Expansion Pack I am using with the H3870.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who may have knowledge of/experience in setting-up an ISP account for a Compaq iPAQ handheld (or a handheld similarly running Windows CE 3.0and can layout the necessary procedures -- to include recommended ISPs -- I can follow to get my handheld online.

Thanks,

Bill

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by j.a.lawrence In reply to ISP Dialup Account for iP ...

Why don't you see if your company has a Dial-Up modem & if they can give you Dial-Up networking Access? That way, you can at least test out your software/modem card.

Collapse -

by wcbattey In reply to ISP Dialup Account for iP ...

I had not thought about trying the solution you recommended. It worked just fine. I know my modem works and that I just need to setup the ISP account User ID and password in the dialing profile.
Thanks for the help!

Bill

Collapse -

by TG2 In reply to ISP Dialup Account for iP ...

I'm not familiar enough with CE ... however doesn't CE offer its own Dialup Wizard like regular windows?

if it does.. use the built in wizard to set up a connection to your ISP.

*Installing* an ISP's "software" usually means you get extras that are unneeded or wanted!

i.e. Earthlink sends out their cd's for a standard dialup / modem connection, and when installing their software, it modifies internet explorer, installs a "Helper" application, and generally adds user settings where theyshould not be..

one such negative effect.. if you put your user name into certain parts of IE as the "User" response ... a web server could get your user name, your email address, etc.. and thus open you up to spam!

Some people simply supply bogus information which is also fine ... but why bother wasted disk and memory usage when the built in tool will give you a plain jane direct internet connection without hidden hastles.

-T

Collapse -

I had not thought about just setting-up the ISP account User ID and password in the dialing profile. As you said, I did not need to actually load the ISP's "stuff" on my iPAQ.
Thanks for the help!

Bill

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)