General discussion

'Linking' Text in Word 2000

By mferrel ·
Need to have answer by Tuesday May 7 at latest. This bunch of points will only be distributed to a FULLY working answer.

Have a word document complete with picture placeholders and page numbering.

The picture place holders need to be a full page by themselves (ie. blank page with page number at the bottom) and 'locked' in physical place on the page (ie if page 7 is a blank picture placeholder page it must stay page 7 AND blank with the exception of the page number at the bottom).

Ifmore text is added prior to a picture placeholder page (PPP), the text closest to the PPP will flow to after the PPP (much like in Quark with linked text box pages surrounding a picture box page)
If text is removed prior to a PPP the text from immediately beyond the PPP will flow to prior to the picture.

Obviously this is better suited to InDesign or Quark, but that's not an option ...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to 'Linking' Text in Word 20 ...

I always hate to say it, but I don't think you can do it in Word the way you can in a layout program.
Work arounds might be two seperate documents. Collated later.
or,
The use of the IncludeText field after the fact.
You can not lock a picture to a specific page.

Collapse -

by mferrel In reply to 'Linking' Text in Word 20 ...

Yes, that is my current conclusion too, but figured I'd throw it up in case someone was wiser than me...

Collapse -

by hal_mcgee In reply to 'Linking' Text in Word 20 ...

I will give it a try. First I assume that you have the pages being numbered in the footer of the page layout. Second I am assuming that you have a document that has existing pictures and that each picture fully takes up the page that it is on to prevent test from appearing on the page. Also that pictures are on every other page or something similar, e.g. this may be a childrens story book with a story flowing on the odd pages with pictures on the even pictures.
Having said all that,
RightClick on the Picture and go to the Format Picture selection second from the bottom on the pop-up window. Select the Layout Tab and then select the Advanced Button:
Uncheck the check box "Move Object with Text" in the lower left hand corner of this dialog box. Once you have done that, then select the Text Wrapping tab of this dialog box and select the style of warpping you desire. From your description, I believe you want the "Top and Bottom" style. This will anchor the picture to this page and as you add and delete text, the text should flow to previous pages or next pages as necessary.
Good Luck!
Hal

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by TimTheToolMan In reply to 'Linking' Text in Word 20 ...

Hi,

I assume you need specific blank pages in place for pre-printed stationary in a largish printing run?

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with DKlippert's summation. You could maybe remove all blank pages from the document and then create a macro to put them in and regenerate your index just before printing but who knows what that'll do to your logic of the document....

Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)