General discussion

Linux on Thinkpad 600E

By gbellabe ·
I'm running Linux Mandrake On my Thinkpad 600E. It does not recognize my sound card, Xircon ethernet card, or my modem how would I correct this problem.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Linux on Thinkpad 600E

by the_argent In reply to Linux on Thinkpad 600E

Need a little more info partner....
1) Which mandrake? 6, 7, 7.1?
2) What's the model number of you 600E? Not all 600E's are created equal....

That aside, not sure about the nic, but if your modem is one of IBM's MWave modems, you can forget it. IBM has never released any of the hardware specs about those modems. But you might have a Lucent modem in that bad boy. If so, www.linmodems.org should get you pointed in the right direction. Lemme know about the other info and I'll help out as much as I can.

the_argent

Collapse -

Linux on Thinkpad 600E

by gbellabe In reply to Linux on Thinkpad 600E

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Linux on Thinkpad 600E

by ninewands In reply to Linux on Thinkpad 600E

I haven't had any personal experience with your situation but here are some suggestions.

ThinkPads are somewhat problematic as far as Linux is concerned. I recommend that you check the IBM support pages for your machine because Big Blue has really jumped on the Linux bandwagon in the last few months and they MAY have released drivers for your devices (no assurances offered, but it is always best to check for help "from the horse's mouth" first).

Your Xircon ethernet card SHOULD be supported by the current drivers, but I don't know which one because I don't know which chipset the card uses. Since it doesn't auto-detect you will just have to read the HOWTOs and FAQs to find out how to configure it manually.

Modem support is a well-known problem with Linux/ThinkPad installations. Unfortunately for you, I don't think a generic fix will be available until the 2.4 kernel is released.

The same principle applies to support for your PCI sound circuitry. Support is spotty in thecurrent kernels and

Collapse -

Linux on Thinkpad 600E

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Linux on Thinkpad 600E

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Linux Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)