General discussion

Mandatory monitor settings Win2000

By hpoppe ·
I've a problem with some of the users on the LAN that I administer. We have 17" monitors and a few users will set them to a resolution of 1280 x 1024. This is very annoying for others users, as they can't see the text. A part of the problem is that many users are "computer illiterate" and call for help to have the resolutions reset. How can I force a resolution of 1024 x 768? I want this to work like a "mandartory userprofile", but for the machine, not the user. User may change the resolution, as long as it will change back when they log off, and the next user logs on. If not, the second alternative will be to force a rsolution of 1024 x 768 on everybody. Is it possible to set this in the registry?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by hpoppe In reply to Mandatory monitor setting ...

By the way, there are 15 Win2000 machines and 85 users. We're a school :-)

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Mandatory monitor setting ...

Here's a registry edit to control whether a user can permanently, temporarily or NOT change display settings.

http://www.jsiinc.com/subh/tip3800/rh3809.htm

Collapse -

This worked, althoug it was not possible to have users change the setting. When the user tries to change the setting the action is refused, but that's OK!
Happy to give you a thousand points. The webpage you gave me also had several other cool registry tweaks.
Thanks!

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)