General discussion

Matsushita DVD-Rom SR-8587-C won't read!

By Pingofdeath ·
Hello there,
I am working on a Gateway G6-350 PC from the early 90's and it has a Matsushita SR-8587-C OEM DVD-ROM that powers up trys to seek but can't read the disk. In My Computer if I select drive it says \ is not accessible The Device is not ready!In the Device Device Manager it shows up correct under CDROM and says it is working correctly. The Gateway site says that it uses a standard Windows driver and it seems that it installs it because it identifies the device correctly. Is this thing hosed? It's Win 98 and a P2 CPU the motherboard is an Intel all in one deal! If any of you have any ideas I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Pingofdeath

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by saihib In reply to Matsushita DVD-Rom SR-858 ...

For a unit that old, I'd use a cleaner first. It might be dirt and dust that keeps it from reading. If that doesn't work, toss it and get yourself a nice DVD burner.

Collapse -

by Pingofdeath In reply to

Thanks for the reply! I tried everything but cleaning. If that doesn't do it it's off to the parts store, I spent way too much time messing with it already. I appreciate the help.

Regards,
Pingofdeath

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Matsushita DVD-Rom SR-858 ...

yeah, good idea to clean it. and do you happen to have an original windows 9x cd? set the pc to boot from cd, then try booting from a known, older, good, clean cd, as a final test. my hat is off to matsushita for lasting this long...

Collapse -

by Pingofdeath In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
Thanks for the reply! I tried everything but cleaning. If that doesn't do it it's off to the parts store, I spent way too much time messing with it already. I appreciate the help.

Regards,
Pingofdeath

Collapse -

by Pingofdeath In reply to Matsushita DVD-Rom SR-858 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)