Windows

Our forums are currently in maintenance mode and the ability to post is disabled. We will be back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

General discussion

Matsushita DVD-Rom SR-8587-C won't read!

By Pingofdeath ·
Hello there,
I am working on a Gateway G6-350 PC from the early 90's and it has a Matsushita SR-8587-C OEM DVD-ROM that powers up trys to seek but can't read the disk. In My Computer if I select drive it says \ is not accessible The Device is not ready!In the Device Device Manager it shows up correct under CDROM and says it is working correctly. The Gateway site says that it uses a standard Windows driver and it seems that it installs it because it identifies the device correctly. Is this thing hosed? It's Win 98 and a P2 CPU the motherboard is an Intel all in one deal! If any of you have any ideas I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Pingofdeath

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by saihib In reply to Matsushita DVD-Rom SR-858 ...

For a unit that old, I'd use a cleaner first. It might be dirt and dust that keeps it from reading. If that doesn't work, toss it and get yourself a nice DVD burner.

Collapse -

by Pingofdeath In reply to

Thanks for the reply! I tried everything but cleaning. If that doesn't do it it's off to the parts store, I spent way too much time messing with it already. I appreciate the help.

Regards,
Pingofdeath

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Matsushita DVD-Rom SR-858 ...

yeah, good idea to clean it. and do you happen to have an original windows 9x cd? set the pc to boot from cd, then try booting from a known, older, good, clean cd, as a final test. my hat is off to matsushita for lasting this long...

Collapse -

by Pingofdeath In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
Thanks for the reply! I tried everything but cleaning. If that doesn't do it it's off to the parts store, I spent way too much time messing with it already. I appreciate the help.

Regards,
Pingofdeath

Collapse -

by Pingofdeath In reply to Matsushita DVD-Rom SR-858 ...

This question was closed by the author