General discussion

Microsoft Office 2000 Icon problem

By riveoner ·
I am using office 2000 and have found that the icons for the varies office products, are mixed up in the programs start up menu and when they are placed on the task bar. For example, the icon for Outlook would open excel. The icon for Excel opens access. The icon for word opens Outlook. In order to open Word I have to click on an icon of a hand. This also happens with some other programs like Musicmatch. only in the program listing and when trying to place them in the task bar next to thestart button does this happen. How do I fix this.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Microsoft Office 2000 Ico ...

Right click Properties

Collapse -

by riveoner In reply to Microsoft Office 2000 Ico ...

It would not give me the option to change the icon when I did what you suggested. It would be greyed out. thanks anyway.

Collapse -

by kees.valkenswaard In reply to Microsoft Office 2000 Ico ...

If a shortcut has been broken sometimes Windows tries to repair it. Often this results in a complete mix-up of all shortcuts. You will have to change these shortcuts yourself. On the desktop, indeed right click for properties and change the link.
For items in the start-menu right click on start which will open explorer at the start menu and again change the links with right click + properties.
Probably faster would be to open explorer as a not maximized window. Search for your office applications. Right click and drag to the desktop. Release right mouse button, choose create short cut. Right click on the created shortcut and rename to what you like. Remove the old [wrong] shortcuts.

Collapse -

by riveoner In reply to Microsoft Office 2000 Ico ...

Tried but did not work. It would be fine when I brought it to the desktop but revert back to being mixed up in the start menu.

Collapse -

by jimmy In reply to Microsoft Office 2000 Ico ...

If the previous two answeres dont work re-service pack the application. I had a similar problem and this cured it.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)