Question

Microsoft Word 2003 crashes when moving text

By CAFritz ·
I am having a problem with Word 2003 and am wondering if it?s just me. This happens sporadically. I edit documents online for a reputable editing web site, so I get docs from all over the world. Some are 2007 docs, and I use the Microsoft tool for editing those docs. My problem is not related specifically to either .doc or .docx; it can happen any time, and sometimes it happens 2 or 3 times within the same document. Here?s the issue: I?ll highlight text and then go to drag it somewhere. Word suddenly freezes up, crashes (after giving me the ?unexpected error and I had to shut down? message), asks me if I want to report the problem to Microsoft (which I do every time), and then immediately reopens the ?repaired? document. When I look at the list of what was fixed, it doesn?t give me any useful information. (I?ll be sure to write it down next time it happens, but it doesn?t mean anything). Sometimes, it will also open 2 or 3 blank documents, also marked as ?repaired.? I then can continue working on the doc (after doing a Save As because it has to be the same document name as the original doc). Along with my repaired doc, Word shows me a list of other versions of the same doc (all showing a status of ?repaired?), so I always select the one at the top of the list, because it is the most recent. What is going on?!?!? Any thoughts out there? I?ve searched online but have not found anything anyone has posted about a similar problem.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Application Event Log Errors

by BFilmFan In reply to Microsoft Word 2003 crash ...

What is the error being recorded in the Application Event Log?

Collapse -

Microsoft Word 2003 crashes

by CAFritz In reply to Application Event Log Err ...

It happened again last night, and I selected the Show Repairs option when I saved the document. This is what was on the Error Description list:

Bookmark 1
Bookmark 2
Bookmark 3
Bookmark 4
Internal Data Integrity (Type 3) 1
Internal Data Integrity (Type 3) 2
Internal Data Integrity (Type 3) 3

When I clicked on each of those "repairs," they all took me to the same place in the document - the very beginning. As far as I am aware, there were no bookmarks in that document (at least none that I had added), and I have no idea what they mean by "Internal Data Integrity."

Here is what was in the event log:
Faulting application winword.exe, version 11.0.8307.0, stamp 49ee835a, faulting module winword.exe, version 11.0.8307.0, stamp 49ee835a, debug? 0, fault address 0x001e3246.

Does that tell you anything?

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)