General discussion

Migration form Foxpro To Access97/2000

By lion502 ·
I came to know that Kumaran (www.kumaran.com) and some other develop tools to migrate or you can say convert old db application to Oracle.My Question is that is there any tool for migration or to convert Foxpro Application to Access97/2000 Mdb files?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Bob Sellman In reply to Migration form Foxpro To ...

While I don't know of a tool to convert a FoxPro application to Access, it's not clear if you are aware of what you can do in Access without any additional tools.

In Access (97/2000) you can link to .dbf files, so you can directly bring in the data to your Access database. It's best to use the linked dbf files to create similar tables in Access with all of the columns and data, since you should end up with only tables when you are done and no links to dbf files.

Because Access is so different than FoxPro, I'd recommend just running the FoxPro application to see what the functions are and how they are done. Particularly if you can also read the FoxPro program code, it should be easier to just create a new Access application (forms, reports, etc.) that will duplicate the functionality of the FoxPro application.

Even if you can't read the FoxPro code, if you understand what the old application is doing (and there are no extremely complex hidden calculations), setting up the Access application shouldn't be very difficult. And remember that Access adds a lot of capabilities that can be relatively easy to use because of the SQL capabilities in queries.

Good luck.

Collapse -

by lion502 In reply to Migration form Foxpro To ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by estebandelatorre In reply to Migration form Foxpro To ...

YOU CAN IMPORT OR CONNECT (MAP) ANY ACCESS 97 OR LATER TO A FOXPRO DATABASE AND DEVELOP APPLICATIONS IN BOTH PLATFORMS USING THE SAME DATA FILES (FOX .DBF)
ONCE YOU HAVE ALL THE CODE CONVERTED TO ACCESS, VB OR ANY OTHER THAT CAN WORK WITH ACCESS YOU CAN MAKE THE LAST MOVE, UPGRADE FROM .DBF TO .MDB JUST USING THE ACCESS IONTERFACE.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Web Development Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)