General discussion

Migration of NT 4 users / Win2000 Server

By lackiek ·
Can someone tell me the easiest way to migrate users, passwords, and directories and their permissions to a new Windows 2000 server from an existing Win NT 4 SP 6.0a Server? The Win 2000 server is simply setup as a workgroup server therefore replication is not an option.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by lackiek In reply to Migration of NT 4 users / ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Migration of NT 4 users / ...

Well, something that would be interesting to try is to copy the SAM from the NT box and put in on the 2000 Server, in c:\winnt\system\config.
Now, I don't know what this will do. It might be bad! I would have a backup of the 2000 SAM on a floppy, and be ready to run Recovery Console! Serious. This could mess things up. If the NT box is a PDC for a domain, then don't try this. It really would mess up the 200 box. Plus, personally, I am fuzzy how a non-Active Directory DC handles its own local accounts, if the SAM is even used or not.
IF the NT box is a stand-alone NT Server (workgroup, not domain member), then maybe this could work. But, you would have to name the 2000 Server the same thing that the NT box is named, so there would be no conflict in the individual SIDs.
It would just be easier to add the 2000 box to the NT domain.
And copying over the directories is easy. Connect to a UNC on the NT box from the 2000 box, and specify to connect using a valid NT username/password.
The 2000 is NTFS for all permissions to go over, I assume. But, to get the security permissions to replicate, you would have to set them up again. Move-Same-Retain is the mantra for NTFS permissions switching between machines.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)