I’m currently running a small business LAN of 2 servers: a PDC running Windows NT Server 4 and a second server running NT 4 and Exchange 5.5. I’m considering upgrading the whole network and obtaining a third server to help with the process.
It’s been suggested to me that I consider moving to Small Business Server 2003 since it has both Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 Server rolled into one and can support up to 75 users.
I’ve also been told that my SBS server would have to be the domain controller, as well as that the server running Exchange should not be a domain controller because it will make future upgrades more difficult.
Given all of this, my basic questions are these:
Would it be wise for me to try to migrate my network over to Small Business Server 2003? What would be the limitations? And what would be the cleanest, safest method of making this transition with the least amount of down time possible?