General discussion

Moving Outlook 2003 to another PC

By JohnGreer ·
I'm about to switch laptops. I'd like to keep my e-mail account information and colors and rules, etc. The last time I moved, I lost the colors and profile (e-mail account list).

Is there one place all the stuff I need to know/consider is documented?

e.g. Profile lives in registry at location .....
Rules are contained within PST
Colors live ...
etc...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DoubleShocker In reply to Moving Outlook 2003 to an ...

This is addressed specifically on this page:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/ha010549431033.aspx

- The short of it: Click Help... About Microsoft Outlook, and check for Internet Mail Only, or Corporate or Workgroup - this will drive your next activity on that document.

Collapse -

by JohnGreer In reply to

This was close and I was hopeful, but no luck.
Specifically, this URL was for Outlook 2000.
But following the logic that they might have a similar checklist for Outlook 2003, I went searching.
The closest I was able to find was this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/CH790018071033.aspx

Unfortunately, I cannot find a checklist like they have above. Too bad because that was a nice list...

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Moving Outlook 2003 to an ...

Depends on your OS, but I will assume you're using Win2K or XP. The information you need to transfer lives in the following locations:

c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

and

c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Assuming you're not on a corporate network or, if you are, you are using local cached mode, your PST file and all of your settings should be in one of these two folders.

If you are on a corporate network and not using local cached mode, there will be no PST, but the other settings will be there, including your rules, which are in a file with a .rwz extension.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by JohnGreer In reply to

Thank you!!!

I suspected that, and have been backing-up these two locations for months now, but never tested it. I wanted to be sure, before I turn off and return the old PC...

I just changed a color rule and this file was updated:
c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outcmd.dat

Collapse -

by JohnGreer In reply to Moving Outlook 2003 to an ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)