Question

MS Word 2000 Error "There was an error opening the file"

By eng.omar.hafez ·
Hi All,

I am running MS Office 2000 on windows xp. I had the MS Office 2007 compatibility pack installed and everything was working fine. I could easily open, view and edit any .docx files, until recently, been getting this error "There was an error opening the file" whenever I try to open any .docx.
I have tried uninstalling the pack and all ms office, manually deleted any installation files remained, reinstall everything again and still getting the same error.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Omar

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Other updates?

by Dedlbug In reply to MS Word 2000 Error "There ...

You can try to uninstall the compatibility pack, then unsure all other high priority updates are installed, then re-install the compatibility pack again. All high priority updates need to be installed for the compatibility pack to work, though I don't recall seeing that as an issue in my experience. Also, check this article out: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2001377

It is relevant for Office 2003, so I don't know if it relates to 2000...since 2000 is almost 10 years old now. But maybe can help point in different direction. Good luck.

Collapse -

Thanks but didn't work

by eng.omar.hafez In reply to Other updates?

I followed your suggestion but didn't work. However, I can't find any office updates on the 'add/remove programs' to uninstall. I uninstalled the package, ms office 2000, restarted, then installed office, searched for updates (none!) then the package, still didn't work.
Also from the reg file from ms support website
Thanks!

Collapse -

You checked Office Updates as well?

by Dedlbug In reply to Thanks but didn't work

Make sure you check Office updates. If you use Windows Updates, you can install Microsoft Update which will check Office for updates as well. Otherwise, OpenOffice.org is a great alternative and probably much better than Office 2000. =]

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)