General discussion

New exchange 2003 server

By ttosun ·
We've ordered a new Exchange server to replace our old one. The current server is running Exchange 2003 and the new one will be runnig the same. Our current migration plan is to fully back up the old server and to do a restore on the new server using the back-up media. So, my question is...is it really that simple??
Oh, we're also using GFI MailEssentials and GFI MailSecurity, which I'm assuming can be pretty easily re-implemented once the new Exchange server is fully operational.

I would appreciate any help from members who have been thru this similar scenario.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

It should be

by jbaker In reply to New exchange 2003 server

as simple as getting the new server up and running, backing up the old Exchange Server, then restoring the databases to the new server. In fact, in 2K3, MS backup shouild be sufficient for this, and will backup the databases live.

Collapse -

VSC will do the work

by shertzer In reply to It should be

MS volume shadow copy service will be the "guts" behind the scenes of MS backup. Going from Ex2003 to Ex2003 will be simple as pie. It will also be a great test of your disaster recovery plan.

Collapse -

What about this...

by ttosun In reply to New exchange 2003 server

How about using Exch03 built in EX Merge program which allows you to transfer tha data from one server to another? Anyone have experience with that or recommend for it / against it?

Collapse -

ExMerge

by shertzer In reply to What about this...

I have used ExMerge to go from Ex5 to 2003, no problems. However, it would be best to have both boxes up at the same time. You would hate to export all of the mailboxes, wipe the server, install 2003, and realize that the exports are corrupt.

Collapse -

by ttosun In reply to ExMerge

Will ExMerge work form Exch03 to Exch03 just as well?

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)