General discussion

No prompt to "open" attachment in OL2003

By shanna ·
I have a Windows XP Pro/Office 2003/Outlook 2003 user who, whenever she attempts to open an attachment, is prompted to "SAVE" the attachment file. There is no option to "OPEN" the attachment, even though, on identically configured PCs in the office there IS the option to either open OR save the attachment.

I can't locate an documentation that addresses the issue of not having "OPEN" as an option, so was hoping someone here might have some suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by shanna In reply to No prompt to "open" attac ...

It appears that the issue is related to the Outlook Security Attachment Warning from Outlook 2000 (she had this OL2003 previously installed then upgraded to 2003). Is there any workaround for this that anyone knows of, or is the only solution to completely remove Office 2003, reboot, then re-install?

Collapse -

by haileyan In reply to No prompt to "open" attac ...

Here is the only tech note I found. This happens in 2003 when there is no file association with an attachment:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218367&Product=out2003bcm

Collapse -

by shanna In reply to No prompt to "open" attac ...

Thanks for your assistance with the problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't resolve my particular issue. I DID try re-associating the document type to the application, but still no luck.

I guess my only alternative is to un-install & then re-install the Office 2003 suite and see if that corrects the problem.

Once again... thanks for your input though, I appreciate it!

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)