General discussion

norton 2004

By inquisitive ·
After installing Norton AntiVirus 2004, the program does not start or appears briefly and then disappears without displaying an error message I have win 98SE. I have tried all the instructions...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to norton 2004

See this Symantec knowledgebase article titled:

After installing Norton AntiVirus 2004, the program does not start, or appears briefly and then disappears without displaying an error message

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2003082815045706?Open&src=hot%E2%88%8F=Norton+AntiVirus&docid=2002092311094706&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid/2002092311094706?opendocument&src=hot%e2%88%8f=norton+antivirus&ver=2003+for+windows+2000/me/98/xp&stg=2&base=http%3a//www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav&dtype=&prod=&ver=2003+for+Windows+2000/Me/98/XP&osv=&osv_lvl=

Situation:
You installed Norton AntiVirus 2004 and restarted the computer. Norton AntiVirus does not start when you double-click its desktop icon or its icon in the system tray, or when you try to start it through Windows Start. No error message appears.

Click on the lind and see the article for the solution.

Collapse -

by inquisitive In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by BorgInva In reply to norton 2004

Encountered myself many times. I always found that if a LiveUpdate did not fix, uninstalling, cleaning out registry, and reinstalling would (sometimes).
I use many registry cleaning programs to do the job. I do not have my registry list right now, but try doing a Google on "registry cleaning software" or something of the sorts.
Or try uninstalling/reinstalling first.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to norton 2004

Hi

I have also had this/similar problems several times. If you uninstall the program make sure that all elements of the Symantec package are uninstalled, including LiveUpdate. Go through the list in Add/Remove programs to do this.

Also, when you reinstall, make sure that only essential (Microsoft) services are turned on. I recently had a problem with Norton GoBack, and disabling unessential services during installation, then re-enabling afterwards solved the problem.

Good luck

Collapse -

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)