General discussion

Novell drive mappings slow in Win 2000

By jeff.west2 ·
My Windows 2000 machine was recently upgraded to SP3 and all critical patches were applied. After those updates, my mapped drives to a novell server slowed down considerably. When I double click My Computer, it takes ~90 seconds for all my drive icons to come up. At the same time, surfing on the web is greatly impacted. URLs that normally snap right up take a similar amount of time to resolve. It is almost like applicaitons are confused on which protocol they need to use. I have IPX/SPX installed with NETBIOS support for it along with TCP/IP. If I disconnect all the mapped drives to the Novell server, all my problems go away, including the browsing issues. We have tried uninstalling ALL network components and reinstalling them along with reapplying SP3. Nothing makes a difference. We can't figure out why the service pack and hotfixes would cause something that was working fine to start acting flaky now. We have both a NDS tree and a Win 2000 domain. Any suggestion on getting my Novell mappings working correctly would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Novell drive mappings slo ...

i believe this is a ipx/spx configuration issue. can you ditch ipx/spx and just run with tcpip?
if not, search ms knowlegebase for 'netware' 'slow' 'browsing' to find explanation of configuration issue. sorry, i don't have the number any more. i was having severe slow browsing issue that i fixed by running straight tcpip (with netbios support, natch).

Collapse -

by jeff.west2 In reply to Novell drive mappings slo ...

I agree that it is an IPX/SPX issue, and I can't ditch this protocol at this time. All the articles that I find on MS knowledgbase say that the problem is fixed in SP3. Well, not in my case.

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to Novell drive mappings slo ...

Most of us don't have the luxury of dropping IPX yet and I am in that boat also, so hope the following help a little;

First, all network maps should be done through the Red "N" and not explorer.
Secondly, check out the following "Cool Solution":
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/features/trenches/tr_win2k_freeze_nw.html

Good Luck

Collapse -

This was useful. I didn't know that you could change the order of the services or remove a protocol from a service. Nice to know where that is. However, I removed IPX from Client for Microsoft networks and from File and Printer Sharing so that I was only using TCP/IP on them. I had to leave IPX on the Microsoft Netware client because it is the only protocol you can have. I also played with the order of the services that 2000 uses for network communications. None of these made any difference. I still have the problem. But this does give me quite a bit more info. Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to Novell drive mappings slo ...

Unfortunately Netware installs IPX as a default unless you choose custom setup and uncheck the IPX boxes.
If you are running anything newer than NW 4.11 try running straight IP. Had the exact same problem after updating my W2K Pro notebook to SP3,reinstalled the 4.83 client with IP only and fixed it right away.

Collapse -

I am not using the client from Novell. I am using the Microsoft for Novell client. You can't choose the protocol for the Microsoft for Novell client. It only uses IPX. We removed the Novell clients some time ago because of other issues.

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to Novell drive mappings slo ...

You mentioned that you removed the Netware client some time ago, due to problems. Have you tried installing a newer version of the Netware client from Novell's site? The Windows client for Netware is designed for OLDER versions of Netware, thus the IPX support. I would recommend using the Netware client from Novell's site and work on debugging errors from there.

Collapse -

Our IT dept. has decided to quit using the Novell client altogether. They don't want it back on our machines. This Novell server that I am connecting to is the last one on our network and we are getting rid of it this year. I have to use the Microsoft version or none at all. Thanks for the thought, however.

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to Novell drive mappings slo ...

I must agree with number 4, you didn't mention you where using Microsoft's NetWare client. Terrible client. My instructions where for Novells client 4.83. Funny you didn't question the Red "N"?
Download the latest Novell client and any SP or patches and give it a try on one or two clients.

Collapse -

I have further learned that mapping to the bindery is the problem. Mapping directly to the tree is not a problem and everything works fine. This was not a problem before the service pack installation. I don't know what changed. I now have a workaround, however. I will just map to the tree and everything should be OK until we get everything migrated over to our 2000 server. Thanks for trying, everyone.

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next